On April 6th 2017, WEAM4i Final Workshop was held in Barcelona to present the results of the project and its success case studies as well as to make synergies with the different projects and initiatives working on the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) nexus.
During the event, the achievements of WEAM4i smart tools which lead to better efficiency in irrigation – of both Water and Energy – were illustrated by WEAM4i consortium. The tools were demonstrated in different sites in Spain, Portugal and Germany. The event was joined by around 60 different stakeholders from the irrigation communities as well as water and energy sectors across Europe!
The full day workshop was kicked-off with a general presentation of WEAM4i project (link) by the project coordinator, Dr. Maria Navarro. Then, the keynote speaker, Jose Maria Tarjuelo from CREA (Centro Regional de Estudios del Agua) gave a presentation on the reduction of Energy Use and Costs in Irrigation Systems (link). After that, the session continued with had different presentations on WEAM4i solutions and the successful case studies. The morning session was concluded by a presentation of the keynote speaker, Jeff Camkin from the University of Western Australia, who made reflections on the Australian experiences of water governance and why we all need to play our part in it (link).
During the afternoon, two parallel sessions were organised. A session on the WEF nexus focusing on the policy perspectives moderated by Giovanni Bidoglio from the EC Joint Research Centre (ISPRA) and Diego Intrigliolo from the CEBAS-CSIC. This session was very interactive and the audience engaged with the speakers on ways to promote a better integration of the WEF nexus in the agricultural sector from the policy point of view.
The other session was a B2B roundtables speed-dating which gathered the end-users with the producers of WEAM4i smart irrigation tools. It included the following solutions:
Resource efficiency at local level:
– High pressure system optimization (GPS approach), (Schulz + von der Ohe) – Energy Efficiency (link)
– Alternative power systems for low pressure irrigation systems, (LGRAIN)- Cost Efficiency (link)
– Leaf sensors, (Yara International) – Crop per drop (link)
Decision Support Tools
HydrOptim, (ADASA) – Cost efficiency, multi-objective scenarios simulation, season planning (link)
Information services and ICT Platform
– Weather forecast, (METOESIM) – Information service (link)
– Crop water demand forecast, (ELEAF) – Information service: Crop per drop (link)
– Energy price forecast, (CREARA) – Information service: Cost efficiency (link)
– WEAM4i ICT platform, (HISPATEC, HYDROLOGIC, ADASA) – Integrated information services and applications (link)
** To download the presentations, brochures and pictures of the final conference: click here! **Leave a reply →